Friday, July 20, 2012

Attack of the sewing bug!

I have been bitten by the sewing bug!  I have done some very minor quilting in the past and I've been sewing since I was 9 but it's never been one of my favorite hobbies.  This summer my reader feed has been overrun with quilting blogs.  One of my favorite to read is In Color Order.  Jeni often features vintage sheet quilts, her adorable bunny George, and her lovely pyrex collection.  She has very nice tutorials with lots of pictures.  And I share her love of the colors, well, in color order (hehehe).

One of her tutorials is a lined drawstring bag.  It is super easy to follow and very addictive!  She also sells the pattern if you want to make other sizes.  Her pattern features sizes for tiny, snack, everything, project, artist, laundry, cd, dvd, and a formula for custom sizes.

I made the project size bag for Mom.  She was needing a little bag to store the "extras" to the steam cleaner.  The fabric is some I had on hand, probably from Hobby Lobby.  Just because it's for cleaning supplies doesn't mean it should be ugly!
I also made the snack bag for me to store the chargers to my phone and e-reader when I travel.  I don't have to worry about forgetting to pack one of them because they stay in the bag.  The fabrics for this one are also from Hobby Lobby.
And here they are side-by-side for size comparison.
Now, I just need to come up with some excuses to make more (maybe instead of store bought gift bags?).  I also want to try the outside pocket modification Terri from Sew Fantastic made to the pattern when she reviewed it for Sew Sweetness: Purse Palooza.

1 comment:

Janice said...

Is the gusset size the same on both bags?